Does your collection of products to keep your lips in shape include lip balms, creams, conditioners and salves? Have you ever looked at the ingredients in your lip balms? There are ingredients added to our favorite products actually can do more harm than good. When it’s time for you to get a new lip product, keep these basics in mind…
Try to avoid the ingredients:
- Salicylic Acid: This is used for exfoliation. This might work well for fighting acne, not for creating smooth lips.
- Camphor, Menthol and Phenol: These ingredients give you that tingling feeling. But actually what you’re feeling is the protective layers of your skin peeling off which could invite environmental damage (like from the sun).
Ingredients to look for:
- Lanolin: Lanolin protects lips from environmental stress and softens skin.
- Beeswax: Beeswax helps retain water and is a natural antibacterial that won’t cause dryness.
- Shea butter and cocoa butter: These ingredients are great moisturizers and won’t irritate lips.